Here’s what to do in preparation
- Find a suitable venue or decide to hold it at your house. You could even hold it at your school or work, if you get permission.
- Set a date and time. Perhaps there’s already an event happening that you could set up a stall at, such as a sports day or church fete.
- The Cakes: Ask for help – Lots of people like to show off their baking skills. You could ask your family, friends and work colleagues for contributions but make sure to ask them far in advance.
- Make sure you advertise far in advance. You could:
- Decorations – Make your stall appealing by having colourful bunting. Contact The Children’s Trust Community Fundraising team for some fundraising materials from The Children’s Trust such as balloons, information packs and more.
- If you can, put together a raffle. It can be as little as 3 items in a hamper but adds an easy boost to how much money you can raise. Remember to get some raffle tickets!
- If you can’t put together a raffle, maybe you could hold a guess the number of sweets in the jar competition. Remember to get a prize for the winner!
If you organise it for at school, work or even the high street, place your bake sale in a location where there is a lot of people traffic and during a busy time of day.
Make sure you have a variety of cakes, such as whole cakes, cupcakes, brownies, even rice krispie treats, and who doesn’t love a pie?
Make sure to send a reminder about the sale on the day.
Ensure you have dairy-free options for vegans, and gluten-free options. We recommend 20% of your options to be dairy-free and 20% to be gluten free.
On the day
- Set up your prices. Choose between three or four price points, for example £1, £3, £5, and £10
- Set-up for your bake sale: Put up the decorations, set out napkins, set out paper plates and forks/spoons (if you see the need), put out the signage for each food item name, allergies and dietary requirements, set up the cash box and float, display the price list and set up the cakes.
- Draw the raffle prize winner or announce the ‘guess the number of sweets’ winner
- Send / transfer the money raised to The Children’s Trust.
- Give yourself a pat on the back! You’ve just provided your family and friends with a fun day of treats and helped make a difference to The Children’s Trust. Thank you!
Have as many sellers as possible ready for the first 20-30 minute rush.